12.19.2008

Tied and Muffled

I have a box of 5 or 6 men's ties. My dad doesn't wear ties and I don't really know a lot of people that do (farmers mostly think ties are dangerous) but I really like men's ties for some reason. I have picked up a few from time to time at the thrift store with the idea of using them for handles on bags, like I did with this one on the left. The only problem with that is that ties are generally cut on the bias, so they stretch a little bit.

I have been thinking about ties though lately, and the other night got the idea to make one into a scarf. I didn't know exactly how I wanted to do this, but did decide to make the back out of silk or something soft like that. I didn't take a picture of the before tie, but it was an awesome, very retro '70s tie that was chocolate brown with daisies and butterflies on it. Very manly, I know. I ended up with this....which is not a great picture, but is the closest you will get to seeing me on this blog. Here is the scarf (scarflette??) untied and hung up with the remainder of the gold silk as a background:
I started by splitting the tie up the back and taking the stiffener out of it, then ironing it flat. That was the point that I realized that a tie is VERY wide at the bottom. There's a lot of fabric in those things! I debated cutting it down, but decided not to this time since I liked the lining and didn't want to resew the ends. I may do this on a different scarf. I then pinned the flat tie onto some gold silk that I found in a drawer and cut out another tie shape of gold silk and one of polyester batting. Then I layered them together, sewed the two long sides and turned it inside out. Some handstitching on the ends and I was done! I used some of the buttons my mom brought me over Thanksgiving and put a buttonhole on the other end and tried it on. Nice and warm, but very smooth against my skin. I am not a huge fan of fleece scarves and I really like the way this one feels. Any thoughts? I have a few more ties and I am thinking of making some for the shop but would love to know what you think first.

4 comments:

Antoinette said...

I sure think it looks good on you as a scarf, and bonus points for refashioning! I say wear it with pride and comfort! Re: using ties as bag handles: I wonder if some stiff interfacing would keep them from stretching too much?

Unknown said...

You are SO creative! Maybe you should quit teaching and just go into full time crafting! :)

Christy said...

Antoinette - I probably should...but now I am addicted to these scarflettes!

Bethany - I WISH. maybe when I get a sugardaddy. =)

Colleen said...

Impressed as always. But you know I love anything with a daisy on it...this school has brainwashed me!

Could you please find a sugardaddy with a brother?