3.05.2009

It's Supposed to Look Like Water....

About 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer than that?) I started buying fabric with the idea of making a quilt that looked kind of watery. All of the fabrics were teal green or blue and none of them had a distinct pattern. Most of them were batiks or something similar and when I finally decided to make the quilt, I realized that I had enough material to make SEVERAL quilts. I made two large ones of the same pattern, and gave one away as a wedding present a few years ago. I have another top of the same pattern that I will someday finish and keep (probably) and I have made a few other things from the same fabric.

My friend Shannon is having a baby in about 6 weeks and she is having a boy. Since I live in Seattle and am friends with eclectic souls, she didn't really want to have one of the three options available for boy babies - trucks, dinosaurs or zoo animals - so I tried to think outside the box. I opened up the scrap box and these colors just jumped out at me. It's a baby blanket, so it doesn't have to be super manly and these colors will work for a boy and they're still kind of artsy.

I think. I did run into trouble when I tried to quilt it. GAH. I didn't have time to handquilt it so I tried to quilt it on the machine. It puckered a tiny bit on the back and it didn't turn out quite like I wanted it to. =( Boo. So I washed it, which helped a little....now it looks a little more wrinkly. Can you tell I don't quilt very often? I love making the tops, but that's as far as it ever gets. Sigh. Ah well. I still think it's pretty (er...manly). I like the way the back looks...the grey looks like stone and I love it next to the blue.

5 comments:

Just say Julie said...

Looks good! I am itching to start the quilting thing, but may have to put it off to summer so as not to comepte with TAKS prep :)

Lani said...

I really like the quilt.. I wish I knew how to sew:)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I think it came out great!

Antoinette said...

I love the waves! Looks great!!!

I took a quilting lesson (ONE) and learned that it is a good idea to start from the center of the quilt and stitch out to the edge. I don't see that as a specific prob in your quilt, but it was one of the most valuable lessons I learned. That, and the importance of the "walking foot" which reduces the pulling of the top layer of fabric while quilting. Maybe those are the only two lessons I learned...

Anonymous said...

It's so pretty! I'm quite in awe that you don't think it's perfect - you must have very high standards!