5.25.2009

Button, Button, Who's Got the Button?

I went to Goodwill yesterday morning and found a jar full of buttons. I did successfully resist the sample case full of 1.5" tile samples....which brought out every crafting instinct I had.
I got home and started to go through them and realized that there were quite a few very old buttons and quite a few vintage 1950s (I'm guessing) buttons as well. It didn't take much to start channeling my inner geek and I spent the day on the balcony sorting buttons. There are quite a few black glass buttons, some have shanks on the back and some do not. In the picture below, the one on the right and the left are glass. There are other black glass buttons that aren't pictured. The four in the center are not glass, but I really like the intricacy of the design on them.
These are all metal (except the white one) and appear to be very old. I think the white one may be ivory. The metal ones are hard to take pictures of. The lower left one has a piece of velvet, I think, in the middle of it. I looked online, but can't figure out how to look up buttons to figure out more about them.
I just liked the way these looked....

7 comments:

Antoinette said...

Ivory? It's a blood button! Don't keep evidence like that around!

Just kidding. Nice haul! I like that last photo with the candy-colored button in a variety of shapes.

Carla said...

Score!! I could spend all day touching, sorting, and staring at buttons:)

Christina said...

Those are gorgeous! So intricate. When I got a stash of buttons at an estate sale, I found sorting buttons to be strangely addictive.

Anonymous said...

that's pretty awesome.

april said...

Wow! Those are some amazing finds! I WISH I could come across a jar full of buttons in a thrift store! I hardly ever find buttons. I think you have some very old buttons there.
Is there anything more satisfying than sorting through buttons?

Just say Julie said...

save some of those for me. I see some funky rings coming out of that stash!

Me said...

OH my word. That is not a "just any day of the week" sort of find! You got a jar of pure gold! Every cord of my inner being wishes it could have sorted them with you...there is quite possibly no greater satisfaction than sorting things...especially buttons!