2.07.2010

More Blankets

So there has been a Thing happening in our family which has made it somewhat difficult to focus and sew but I have been making this and that. I have several partly finished projects....maybe you'll see those later. =)

Over the last four years at the school I work at there have been 3 pregnant women on the staff each year (different ones each year, obviously...). But only three. No more, and more importantly, NO LESS. Always 3. Each of the last three years, one of the three is someone I happen to be pretty good friends with, which means I have made at least one baby blanket every year. This year, the baby mama is a very outgoing, bubbly freshman English teacher that I call Jessica Rabbit (in my head) because she is very......va-va-voom. =)

She and her husband have decided not to find out the sex of the baby, so that presents some challenges when choosing the color for the blanket. You have to make sure that whatever you make isn't too girly, but not too boyish either. They have painted the nursery green, so that gave me a little direction. First, I made this one:
But it just wasn't right. There is nothing wrong with it....it just.........wasn't right for THIS baby. So I went through my stash and pulled out this fantastic Heidi Grace fabric. Check out those birds and the teeny tiny ladybugs! Then I found some coordinating fabric and made the same around the world pattern, just brighter. It is backed with bright green flannel and tied with white embroidery floss in the center of each white square. I really like it, and I hope she does too!

5 comments:

Steph said...

Oh, that is SUPER cute! I'm sure the parents-to-be will love it.

Antoinette said...

They are both beautiful! You are such an accomplished quilter -- I had no idea! One of my very favorite baby gifts was a handmade quilt. They are so very sweet to receive.

Kyle said...

WOW! They look AMAZING!!

Aunt Spicy said...

Oh, they are both so bright and cheery and fun! I am sure they will both be well loved blankets!

Sara said...

Gorgeous blankets! You never cease to amaze me with your talent!